A few weeks before I went to NY, Ang and I were talking on our cell phones (free Verizon-to-Verizon gives us no limits, thank goodness!) and she told me how she went to a FREE yoga class with her friend and at this FREE yoga class she saw one of the Olsen twins. Funny she would go to a FREE yoga class. Maybe she likes to save money on occasion, probably because she just doesn't have enough of it, huh?!?! Yeah right! Then that same night the same friend that was at the yoga class with her saw this same Olsen twin at "the #1 rated sushi restaurant in Manhattan" (according to a website). We already decided we wanted to get sushi once while I was in NY so now we knew where we were going to go. I mean come on, if on of the Olsen twins eats there and a website says it is #1 then it must be fabulous, right?
Ok so on day 4 after waking a bit later and taking our time getting ready we went to Tomoe Sushi for lunch. It was kinda far away and kinda in a weirder part of town, although I don't know I can explain it what way it was weirder- it just was. Kinda like it was not as nice but also kinda we didn't see too many people out and about. So we made it to this place. It was on our right side of the street and the doors before it and after it were people's apartment doors. Weird. So inside there were about 8 tables. All of them were very close together. So if Ashley Olsen were right next to someone you could definitely hear everything she was saying. But she wasn't next to us. Darn it, kinda but kinda not! The place was ok but not fabulous. And we didn't really know what we were ordering because the menu wasn't very clear in it's descriptions. So oh well. Live and learn, right? (We grabbed sushi from the market later that night, or maybe it was a different night, that was super better and super cheaper and it made us feel like we had satisfied our sushi crave that our $50 did not satisfy previously.
We made our way to the TKTS booth at Times Square where we stood in line for discount theater tickets- for 2 hours. If you have the time it's the way to go- if crunched for time then pay the full price. We had the time and used it well by observing others, chatting, and observing others- people watching in NYC is really amusing by the way.
We kinda wanted to see Guys and Dolls but they only had 'partial-view' seating available and the tickets were still $91 each. I have seen Stomp before and it may be my favorite of all the Broadway shows I have seen- one of the only ones I wouldn't mind seeing again and again and again. So I talked Angela into it. $40 tickets but not seated together, oh well.
We went back to Ang's apartment, showered and got pretty and then checked the subway for directions and stop times and such and realized the subway wouldn't get us there in time. We also found out that this show (and others) was NOT on Broadway Street but on a street quite far away. HRMPH! Out to hail a cab we go. The great thing about our cab ride was that it took us up Park Avenue. Loved it! Probably the nicest area I had seen in Manhattan. Lots of nice apartment buildings & office buildings and every car we drove by was a top notch brand. Wish I would have gone there again but there just wasn't time to fit it in.
We made it to Stomp on time, kinda. I say kinda because we probably drove up about 3 minutes after the show was supposed to start. We got up to the theater and there was a small line outside. When we got in the door it was rather chaotic. Some people had to go around a corner and up a few stairs to the balcony and some they would let through to their seats on the floor level. Ang and I kinda handed the guy our tickets at the same time. He took a look at them both and tried sending me to the stairs (remember our seats were not together) and her to the floor level when another guy told the ticket taker that he had seats for us together. He took us in to the floor level and we stood around and then he showed us to some seats- maybe in the 10th row. This theater was so small. I am so used to Gammage I guess. There were probably only 20 rows- maybe 8 seats on either side. I have no idea how many balcony seats there were because they were directly above our heads but it definitely didn't seat very many people. I guess for a show to be put on nearly every night all year long then if the theater was too big it would never sell out. So this guy got us seats together and they were great seats. But he did inform us that the people that had our seats had to leave because one of them vomited. Fabulous, huh?!? Well, we got good seats out of it! We were also able to make it to the show on time because they had to hold a lot of people outside while they cleaned up the puke (Carlee's favorite word these days, by the way) and it stalled the starting of the show. The show was great and Ang said she hadn't laughed that hard in a long time. Me either. It was so flippin hilarious. Glad I saw it again. Well worth the money.
After that we headed across the street to get a cab but saw a place called Dallas BBQ, which was recommended by a friend who had lived in NY, and decided to eat a late dinner there- we shared one meal and it was really yummy. It was full of nice-looking-well-to-do college boys (if there is such a thing) who looked older than boys (maybe grad students). I think we were very near NYU, or one of the major universities. We walked a long ways, and it was cold, and the streets were dark, and we passed a few bars with many of those nice-looking-well-to-do fellas standing outside on pub patios drinking a glass of rum, brandy, or scotch, while a few cheesy gals hung all over them. GAG! But we finally made it to a subway station. We had a long ride home and changed trains a few different times. Did you know that 2.4 miles on the subway can take 43 minutes? (According to Hopstop.com)
When we got off the subway I checked my cell phone thinking I may have gotten good-night voice mails from the kids and hubby back home. I sure got calls, but not the good-night calls I was hoping for. Click HERE to find out why. I was up worrying until I got a call that said Cloee was doing so much better.


0 comments:
Post a Comment