CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 8, 2008

Doctor Appointment

All three kids had an appointment with Dr. Campbell today.
Carlee had her 8 year check up and is in the 100% for weight and 75% for height. The dr says as long as she is active and has good eating habits then she should be fine and will grow out of this stage. I guess she means that she will thin out eventually. At the doctor's suggestion she got a flu shot. She hesitated getting on the table but finally got up and then laughed as soon as it was done. She really is a toughy. She wants to be a doctor when she grows up and she knows she needs to be tough to have that job!
Cade has his 5 year check up a month or two ago and had to get 4 shots! He now HATES shots. If I remember correctly he was 70% for weight and 45% height. Today he had his hearing and vision screening. (He was supposed to get that done when he was there before but was too distraught from all the shots so we re-scheduled the screenings for today.) His vision turned up fine but he didn't pass the hearing test. He had one constant ear infection from the time he was 4 months old until he got tubes put it at 8 and 1/2 months. Even after the tubes he continued to get ear infections but with the tubes the pressure wouldn't build and the ears could drain. So if he does have some hearing damage I would not be at all surprised. They apparently had some issues with their hearing machine and just got it back from the fix-it shop but don't know if it is really fixed or not. Dr. Campbell referred him to an audiologist for a more intense screening. We pray all is well. Cade also received a flu vaccine. He was the last to go and cried the whole time- even before the girl was ready to give it. He just sat on the table and hugged me and cried and told us all that he hates shots "more than anything because they are too pointy". He is not my tough child- he must take after me.
Cloee checked out good. She is 10% for length and is finally on the charts for weight at about the 5th percentile- yahoo! She had to get 2 shots, one being the flu vaccine. She cried when the first one went in and when the 2nd one went in but as soon as I picked her up she smiled at me and was fine. SHE is my tough child! She seems to be doing really well. I updated the doc on her physical therapy and speech therapy. We talked about the things that she is still not able to do and what I am doing to help her learn to do them. Dr. Campbell noticed she still has a very hard time breathing and that is just something she will have to grow out of. Could take until she is 6 or 8 years old- yikes!!! Poor baby. Oh, her ear looked fine so I guess the antibiotics cleared up that infection. She will begin the Synagis vaccine (for RSV) again once the first case of RSV shows up in the valley and will get that once a month until the end of the season. She will not be seen again for 3 months- that's the longest time between appoinments and I am so excited not to have to drive into Phoenix again for a while.
I stopped on the way home and got the kids "Frosty"s from Wendy's that I had promised them since I "didn't tell the truth" about them having to get shots. (Which wasn't true- I didn't know that flu vaccines were being given this early.) They came home, watched some tv, showered and Will gave a nice FHE lesson and they were in bed by 7:45. A rarity. In fact I don't think they have ever been put to bed that early. It was wonderful right up until Cade was coughing so bad that we decided he needed a breathing treatment. So at 8:45 Will brought him downstairs to me to give him his treatment where he sat on my lap and I rubbed his face. He coughed thru the entire treatment, we felt so bad for him, and towards the end he was coughing so hard he started throwing up. It was just wonderful. Will just sat there and then said, "Cari, he just threw up in the breathing mask." Duh! "I know that. How about you be a pal and get me a towel?"
I sent everyone to bed, including Will, and I am now enjoying my time alone!

2 comments:

Joey and Megan said...

Kendall just recently announced that when she grows up she wants to be "A doctor that gives kids shots." So apparently she has a mean streak!

Chelsea said...

awww, sad. I hate those dang shots. 7:45, NICE!!