When I was on bed rest at home Carlee and I were watching a movie and all of the sudden she got shy and wanted to ask me something but said she was afraid to ask. I finally got her to ask me and the is what it was: "Mommy did you and Daddy do sex?" I was like holy cow, what do I say to this?! So I just said, "Well, that is how you get pregnant." And she said, "Well, did you then?" I was thinkin', "Dude, I'm pregnant right now." So that is what I said and again she asked, "Well, then did you?" And so I just said, "Yes, Carlee." And she goes, "Oh ok." It was done and over, although I know she wanted to ask more but I told her to be quiet so we could watch the movie. I was totally done with that subject at that time!
So just today she said to me: "Mommy, how do you get a baby?" I told her that a mommy and daddy have to decide if they want a baby and then they get one. And she said, "Well how do they get it then?" Geez! You're only 7 Carlee! So I just calmly said, "By doing sex." She said, "Well that's not bad to do sex if you wanna have a baby. My friends always say sex is bad but it shouldn't be." I just told her that it isn't bad if it is between a mommy and a daddy who love each other and if they wanna have a baby, but sometimes people that don't want to be parents do that and then they get a baby but they didn't want one. She said, "Well they made a bad choice then." Yep, I guess so!!!
I don't think I am ready for the questions that will come when she is in junior high, maybe I will tell her to ask her dad!
I remember when I was in 8th grade there was a girl that it was rumored that she gave someone a BJ (I am not modest but will be in case this offends you). So I went and asked my mom what that was. She was in her room on her bed and her face turned red and she kinda stumbled her words and told me she didn't know.
Oh man, I am not looking forward to that kind of stuff. Maybe I should get some parenting books on how to talk to your kids about those types of things.
It's funny because Will is so blunt with our kids about a lot of things. He flat-out tells them that if they do certain things then they will die a very long painful death- such as smoking, drinking, and drugs. My kids aren't shy to go up to someone that is smoking and say, "You're gonna die." It happens all the time. The people usually have no idea what my kids are talking about, if they do then they just agree with them. It hasn't backfired yet. Will also makes lots of comments about working at McDonald's or Wal-Mart. He tells the kids that if they don't do homework, study, get good grades, and go to college then they will live in a tent with no toilets and they will only be able to get a job flipping burgers or pushing carts. They are very fortunate kids and even at their young age, especially Carlee, they know they don't want to live any less than they do now.
A few months ago Carlee was telling me that she wanted to have a truck when she grows up so that she can just throw her quad in the back of it and meet daddy at the dunes. Then she started saying that she wanted to have a big house like ours. There was other conversation in there, I remember telling her that she hates to clean and if she had a big house like this then she would have to clean it. Anyway, the point was that I told her she needs to make sure she goes to college so she can afford these things. And she goes, "MOM, I'm gonna do the college! Quit talking about the college! I don't wanna hear about the college! I already know about the college and I'm gonna do it! All I'm telling you is my hopes and dreams and you have to go and talk about the college! That's not my hopes and dreams, that's your hopes and dreams and Daddy's hopes and dreams, but not mine." And then she stops. And then she adds, "But I'm gonna do the college anyway because you and Daddy want me to so I can get my hopes and dreams to come true." She was on a role. She wasn't being nasty- just very matter of fact. It was hilarious!
Saturday, May 31, 2008
Carlee asks "How do you get a baby?" & "I'm gonna do the college"
Posted by ~Cari at 9:08 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
Cari, I love the college conversation. That's hilarious! Also, by the time they get to junior high they don't want you to talk to them about sex, so get it in now because later you will have to force them to listen to you!
I hope the sex talk waits a long while. I think you handled that very well-good job.
P.S. Do college:)
Wow, some tough questions there! I asked my babysitter how you have a baby. Her reply was you prayed about it and once your period stopped. So when my friend told me the real deal I told her she was wrong and explained what I though the "real way" was. Man I must've looked like an idiot!
Oh boy! You handled that very well! She is a funny girl!
Oh boy! You handled that very well! She is a funny girl!
That is so funny! I'm gonna do the college! We had the sex talk with Emma before 1st grade. It was interesting to say the least.
Post a Comment